Installing Netscape Communicator
Netscape Communicator 4.05
- Netscape Communicator 4.05 is included with the LinuxPPC R4 CD, and is installed by default unless it is deselected.
- Netscape Communicator 4.05 is not part of the DR3 CD; however, it was included with the LinuxPPC R4 CD.
- Get the rpm either from the LinuxPPC R4 CD or download it from
ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc/redhat/RPMS/. Note that this site undergoes confusing changes on a regular basis. You may have to search in another directory or at another site.
- Place the netscape-communicator-4.05-3a.ppc.rpm file in the /root directory.
- Issue the command
rpm -i netscape-communicator-4.05-3a.ppc.rpm.
- You are likely to get a message about failed dependencies for the libraries libg++.so.27 and libstdc++.so.27. Reattempt the rpm install using the --nodeps switch. This should override the error. The libraries are not needed for the install, but note the next bullet.
- Look in /usr/lib. Symbolic links for the libraries in question should exist to the *.so.2.8.0 and/or the *.so.2.8.1 versions. If the links do not exist, create them. This should allow Netscape to run. Add an icon to the KDE launcher bar if desired.